In 2021, the volume of furniture exports from Russia to the United States reached 21.5 million USD. This represents a 18.9% increase to the corresponding period of the previous year. This gross estimation also includes parts of furniture, mattresses, bedding, mattress supports, healthcare and other professional furniture, so the HS codes 9401, 9402, 9403, 9404 are considered.
The share of the United States in Russian furniture exports is as much as 3.2% in 2021, which is higher than in 2019 (2.8%) but lower than in 2020 (3.8%).
Furniture exports to the United States consist mainly of
- wooden furniture for dining and living rooms, priced higher than 1.8 EUR per kilo (64.4%),
- parts (14.2%), with wooden parts being the top product groups here,
- wooden furniture for kitchens, unfitted, excluding seats (7.2%),
- and wooden furniture for bedrooms, priced higher than 1.8 EUR per kilo (3.7%).
These categories together provide more than 89% of the total value of furniture exported to this country. Each other furniture category accounts for 1% or less.
The growth in 2021 was mainly driven by
- wooden furniture for dining and living rooms, priced higher than 1.8 EUR per kilo (+28%),
- wooden furniture for kitchens, unfitted, excluding seats (+33%).
Some smaller scale categories also showed a higher than average increase, for instance:
- other wooden furniture excluding for offices, kitchens, bedrooms or seats, priced higher than 1.8 EUR per kilo (+802%).
The average price for furniture exported to this country is higher than average. In 2021, the average price declared at customs reached 2.25 USD per kilo (previously 2.23 USD in 2019 and 2.03 USD in 2020). The growth goes hand in hand with general annual increase of the average price for Russian furniture exports.
The weighted average of the currency exchange rate was 73.6541 RUB for 1 USD in the current period under review. This rate shall be used to accurately convert the exported value to rubles.
The exports data provided here is a preliminary estimation made by the Russian Federal Customs Service immediately after the reporting period, available at the time this news item is being published. Evidently, numbers are subject to change: the Customs update their analytics retrospectively, even a long time after the reporting period is finished. Those updated numbers and most actual data shall be included into our extended Market Reports.